<span class="highlight">trak</span> <span class="highlight">shak</span>

Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 11:06
ThreadID: 84847 Views:3325 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
we are planning to go around australia in June for six months. We are looking to buy a second hand trak shak (or similar) with the two beds off the ground (we have three kids). Does anyone know someone wanting to sell one? Or rent one out for the six months? We are willing to travel anywhere on the east coast to look at one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark Howlett - Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 12:58

Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 12:58
mmm, we were just discussing last night if we should keep ours or not! We did 6 months with our 2 kids in 2008 and now we're back in the grind, it's not getting much use. Anyway, we wrote a website about the trip (and the Trak Shak) on the link below.

Our website

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 447561

Follow Up By: valerie g - Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 13:06

Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 13:06
mark
thanks, will look at website tonight. let us know if you are interested in selling the trak shak. Did you have any problems / tips on the trak shak? we have heard they do need large campsites in caravan parks. I was wondering how hard they are to pack up when raining. ta valerie
FollowupID: 719854

Follow Up By: valerie g - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 16:52

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 16:52
Mark
your website is so inspiring. We would love to get a copy of your excel spreadsheet listing everything you needed for the trip. If possible please email to me. Thanks valerie
FollowupID: 719980

Reply By: Member - Derek Jones - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 11:54

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 11:54
We used our Trak Shak for our 12 month around Oz trip in 1997. Ma + Pa and 2 kids.

While the TS is a large unit and requires a fair amount (read lots) of space to park we generally found we could pretty much find a space wherever we looked. Some caravan parks proved a little challenging, simply indicating we had a large unit could we have something to suit, to the owners of caravan parks got us a reasonable site. At the time we were able to give dimensions and most CP owners were happy to oblige. At times our set up was not 100% due to cramped spaces.

I don't recall wet packing ever being a problem - we did have a couple of heavy duty black plastic sheets to put on the tops of our beds to prevent any wet bedding issues. This seemed to work pretty welll.

The plastic floor always packed up outwards and didn't touch any of teh canvas or bedding so this was never an issue for us. Mind you the maximum period of time we were packed up tight was about 6 hours at a time so there was never any issue of lingering moisture.

All in all - any negatives experienced with the TS were far outweighed by the positives; quick set up/pack down, bed always made, plenty of storage, robust unit, dust/water proof, ample additional fuel/water acrryign capacity, roomy beds, go anywhere and so on.

We sold our TS 15 months ago and 'upgraded' to a TVan. We enjoyed the TS some much we would have bought a two person unit if they were being made at the time.

Good luck finding one. You won't regret it.
AnswerID: 447652

Follow Up By: valerie g - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 16:53

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 16:53
What's a TVan? Did you trak shak with the one bed up and kids in tow? We have seen one for sale with the one bed and wonder if there is enough space in it for a family of five. Regards
Valerie
FollowupID: 719981

Follow Up By: Member - Derek Jones - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 22:03

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 22:03
Hi Valerie.

Our TS was the double QS bed version. We slept in one half and our two girls in the other. We didn't have the underbed space. For us the 2 X QS was perfect at the time.

Our two little girls have now left home and we no longer have a need for the 2 X QS version. When we last enquired with TS direct about 24 months ago they indicated they no longer made a 1 X QS version.

While we were somewhat disappointed we did reconcile grieving with a TVan. Personally I don't think the TVan suits a family but that is only my opinion. The TVan suits my wife and I and we are very happy with it.

Website http://www.tracktrailer.com.au/

Certainly don't to turn this into a TVan add as we were extremely happy with the TS. I believe that all things being equal you'll enjoy the TS.
FollowupID: 720011

Reply By: Member - michael H (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2011 at 14:56

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2011 at 14:56
I might be interested in hiring/selling my Trak Shak give me a buzz at Work 02 9545 1734

Cheers Michael
AnswerID: 447766

Sponsored Links